Health Care. Nutrition Care. Mental Health Care.


Physical Health

Medicaid has changed as a result of the water crisis. Anyone under the age of 21 or any pregnant woman who was served by the Flint water system and whose family income is income is 400 percent or less of the poverty level (a family of four can make $97,200 per year) may be eligible for Medicaid. This includes:

  • Children that live in Flint
  • Children that lived in Flint anytime from April 2014 until the present but moved out of the City or is planning to move.
  • Children that live outside of the City of Flint but went to school, daycare or frequently visited family members that live in Flint
  • Children born to a woman served by the Flint water system from April 2014 until present.

The fastest way to apply is online at You also can apply by calling 1-855-789-5610 (TTY 866-501- 5656 for persons with hearing and speech disabilities).

If you already receive Medicaid, this expansion comes with new services. If you have questions, you may call the Beneficiary Help Line at 1-800-642-3195 (TTY 1-866-501-5656 for persons with hearing and speech disabilities).

Frequently Asked Questions – Flint Healthcare Coverage

Many residents in the Flint community have become eligible for additional healthcare coverage through Medicaid under a waiver recently approved by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Michigan applied for this waiver to ensure that Flint residents get the health services they need as a result of the Flint water emergency. Enrollment for this coverage could begin Monday, May 9, 2016.

Who is eligible for this coverage?
Anyone under the age of 21 or any pregnant woman who was served by water from the Flint water system and lived, worked or received childcare or educational services at an address served by the Flint water system since April 2014 – and whose family incomes are 400 percent or less of the federal poverty level. Children born to a woman served by the Flint water system during this period also are part of this eligible group. Four-hundred percent of the federal poverty level is $47,520 for one person, or $97,200 for a family of four.

Others in this group with incomes greater than 400 percent of the federal poverty can apply for Medicaid health coverage through a “buy-in” option to become available later this year.

What if I already am covered by Medicaid?
If you have prior coverage, you may have already received a letter in the mail from MDHHS that explains you will receive these additional services. If you have questions, you may call the Beneficiary Help Line at 1-800-642-3195 (TTY 1-866-501-5656 for persons with hearing and speech disabilities).

What if I’m not already covered through these services?
If you meet the eligibility criteria and your income is 400 percent or less of the federal poverty level, you should apply for services. The fastest way to apply is online at You also can apply by calling 1-855-789-5610 (TTY 866-501-5656 for persons with hearing and speech disabilities).

Can I apply if I already have other insurance?

Yes. If you have other insurance that insurance will be used first when you use health care services, but the expanded Flint Health Care Coverage may cover things that your other insurance does not like transportation to the doctor’s office and Family Supports Coordination,  which helps connect you with medical, educational, social and other services you and/or your children may need.


If you enroll in the expanded Flint Health Care Coverage and you do not end your Marketplace coverage, you may have to pay back Advance Payments of the Premium Tax Credit (APTC).

There are two ways to end Marketplace coverage with advance payment of the premium tax credit if you become eligible for Flint Health Care Coverage:

  • Online: Follow the “Cancelling a Marketplace plan when you get Medicaid or Chip” instructions on at
  • Over the phone: Contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325) and tell the call center representative that you want to end a Marketplace plan for someone who is enrolled in Medicaid

When did I become eligible for expanded services?
The waiver for this program was approved by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services on March 3, 2016. Enrollment into coverage could begin May 9, 2016, but coverage is retroactive three months prior to enrollment into Medicaid and no earlier than March 1, 2016.

What are targeted case management services?
These services, which are part of the additional coverage, are designed to ensure that you receive the full spectrum of health and other services that you and your children need. A case manager will meet with you to help you create a plan of care that includes needed medical, social, educational and other services and will assist you with necessary referrals. If you are receiving the additional coverage, you can receive targeted case management services by contacting your doctor, your Medicaid Health Plan, or calling Genesee Health System at 810-257-3777.

Are there additional costs for me?
Those who qualify for this coverage will not have to pay premiums, contributions or co-pays for their State of Michigan health care coverage

Where can I find out more about Flint-related water issues?
For more information, visit

Below is a chart that has calculated what 400% of the poverty level is by household size.

Number of People in your Household Total Family Yearly Income
1 $47,520
2 $64,080
3 $80,640
4 $97,200
5 $113,760
6 $130,320
7 $146,920
8 $163,560

In addition to applying online at or calling 1-855-789-5610 (TTY 866-501- 5656for persons with hearing and speech disabilities); the following agencies can assist with signing up for this expansion.

Sites with Navigators to Assist Signing-Up

Carman-Ainsworth School District
Genesee Intermediate School District
Stalker Head Start
3329G Burnell Ave., Flint  48507

Evilia Jankowski, MSA, RN, BSN
Coordinator Nutrition and Health Services
Phone: 810-591-5144

First and third Tuesday of each month, 8:15 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Deaf Community Access Center
1277 W. Court St.3600 Flint, MI 48503
Phone:  810-239-3112
Videophone:  810-620-8496

Hours:  Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Walk-ins welcome

Disability Network
3600 S. Dort Hwy., Suite 54  Flint, MI 48507

Adrienne Howe, Certified Navigator
Phone:  810-244-3276
Hours:  Monday – Friday,  9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.   By appointment only  .

Shelter of Flint, Resource Center
605 N. Saginaw  Flint, MI 48505

Adrienne Howe, Certified Navigator
Phone:  810-244-3276
Hours:  Wednesday only, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.  By appointment only.

Genesee Community Health Center
Center City
422 W. 4th Ave. Flint, MI 48503
Phone:  810-496-5777

M, T, Th:         7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday:   7:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Friday:            8:00 a.m.  – 4:30 p.m.

Genesee Health Plan
2171 S. Linden Rd.  Flint, MI 48532
Phone:  810-232-7740
Toll Free:  844-232-7740

Hours:  Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Genesee Health System Access Center
420 W. Fifth Ave.  Flint, MI 48503
Phone:  810-257-3705

Care Manager onsite
Computer access in lobby; no appointment needed

Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

725 Mason St. Flint, MI 48503
Phone:  810-496-5730
Medicaid Specialist, by appointment only

Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Genesee County DDA Health Dept.
630 S. Saginaw St., Suite #4  Flint, MI 48502
Phone:  810-257-3039

Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:00 – 11:00 a.m. & 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.

Hamilton Community Health Network
Appointments can be made by contacting one of the offices below or by calling 810-787-5097.
Two Navigators onsite: Tim and Marcie
Two Certified Application Councilors:  Dwayne and Candyce

Administrative Offices
225 E. Fifth Street, Suite 300  Flint, MI 48502
Phone:  810-406-4246

Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Burton Clinic
G-3375 S. Saginaw St. Flint, MI 48529
Phone:  810-406-4246

Hours:  M, T, W, Th:   8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Friday:                            8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Saturday:                       8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Walk-ins  Tuesday:      1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Clio Health Clinic
4154 W. Vienna Rd. Clio, MI 48420
Phone:  810-406-4246

Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Dental North Clinic
5399 N. Saginaw St. Flint, MI 48505
Phone:  810-406-4226

Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Lapeer Health Clinic
5170 Suncrest Dr. Lapeer, MI 48446
Phone:  810-406-4246

Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Main Clinic
2900 N. Saginaw St. Flint, MI 48505
Phone:  810-406-4246

Hours:  Monday – Friday:     8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday:                              5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Walk-ins Wednesday:            8:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.

North Pointe Clinic
5710 Clio Road Flint, MI 48504
Phone:  810-406-4246

Hours:  Monday – Friday,   8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Walk-ins Thursday:               1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Hurley Medical Center
One Hurley Plaza  Flint, MI 48503
Phone:  810-262-9000

Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

McLaren Flint
401 S. Ballenger Hwy. Flint, MI 48532

Advomas onsite
Phone:  810-342-3707

Shannon Williams, DHHS onsite
Phone:  810-342-3750

What is shigellosis?
Shigellosis is an infection of the intestinal tract caused by the bacteria Shigella. Shigellosis usually causes severe diarrhea, but other symptoms can include fever, nausea, vomiting, cramps and stools containing blood and/or mucus. A person with shigellosis is most likely to develop symptoms 12–96 hours after becoming infected, and symptoms usually last about 5–7 days. Some infected people may not show any symptoms.

How is shigellosis spread?
Shigella bacteria, the organism that causes shigellosis, are spread by the fecal-oral route, i.e., the bacteria leave an infected person’s body in the stool and are spread by contaminated hands, surfaces, food, or water. Shigellosis is highly contagious; a small amount of bacteria can cause a person to become ill.

Are children at child-care settings at greater risk for shigellosis?
Anyone can get shigellosis, but it is more commonly seen in young children. Children in child-care settings, their caregivers and other people living in crowded conditions where personal hygiene is difficult to maintain are at greater risk of infection.

What should be done to monitor for illness in the child-care setting?

  • Identify an employee to monitor for and record symptoms of shigellosis/diarrheal illness in children daily
  •  Ill caregivers and parents of ill children should notify daycare if the caregiver or child has been diagnosed with a communicable disease, such as shigellosis
  • Ill caregivers should also inform their supervisor at the child-care setting if they have been diagnosed with a communicable disease
  • The daycare should then notify the local health department of any children or caregivers with a communicable diseas

What are the exclusion criteria when caregivers or children at the child-care setting develop symptoms of shigellosis?

  • All symptomatic persons with a diarrheal illness should be excluded (kept home) from the child-care settings
  • Children who develop diarrhea or vomiting while in a group care setting should be separated from the other children and retrieved by a parent as quickly as possible
  • Households with ill family members where a day camp is hosted should refrain from hosting the day camp until the criteria below are met for all ill family members

When can a child or caregiver with shigellosis return to the child-care setting?

  • The ill person must be symptom free with formed stools for a period of time specified by the local health department
  • The local health department will make the determination if additional criteria need to be met, such as further stool testing, in order for the ill person to return to the child-care setting
  • Even after an ill person recovers they may still be temporarily carrying the Shigella bacteria inside of them, so it’s important to always follow the prevention measures and steps outlined below

What activities should be avoided in a daycare setting after shigellosis is diagnosed?

All recreational water activities within day camps or daycares should cease until two weeks after the last ill attendee or caregiver has become well. This restriction is all-inclusive and applies to all forms of water activities in these settings including backyard pools, wading pools, water tables, splash pads, sprinklers, etc., because of the high risk of Shigella transmission associated with water. When water play activities resume, risk can be reduced by diligently and meticulously washing the hands of all children with soap and water immediately before and after water play, and reminding children not to drink the water or to place wet toys or hands in their mouths during water play.

What can be done to prevent the spread of shigellosis?

  1. Hand Hygiene for caregivers AND children –
    • WASH HANDS with water and SOAP:
      1. upon arrival at the care facility
      2. after using the toilet
      3. after changing diapers or helping children with toileting
      4. after having diaper changed
      5. before preparing food or beverages (Children should not assist with food preparation)
      6. before eating
      7. after outdoorplay
      8. when hands are visibly soiled
    • Keep soap available at all washing areas.
    • Provide paper towels or air dryers for drying hands after hand washing. Cloth towels should not be shared.
    • Caregivers should supervise and/or assist children with hand washing after toileting and before eating.
    • Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are a good supplement to washing hands and should be used often. They are NOT meant to replace washing hands with water and soap and may not be as effective as washing with water and soap when hands are visibly dirty or greasy.
  2.  Diapering
    • Designate a diaper-changing station away from food preparation and play areas. Ideally, this station has a non-porous surface and is within easy access of a hands-free, lined and covered trash bin, and a hand washing station.
    • Each diapered child should have an individual supply of diaper wipes and diaper cream.
    • Make sure children are wearing the proper size diaper; diapers must be covered with clothing.
    • Dispose of soiled diapers in hands-free, closed-lid containers
    • Disinfect diaper changing areas after each use with bactericidal wipes.
    • Caregivers responsible for diapering and toileting should not participate in food and bottle preparation
  3. Toileting
    • Directly Supervise (observe/assist) children to make sure that after using the bathroom they wipe themselves properly (and the toilet seat is clean), close the toilet lid before flushing, and immediately wash their hands with water and soap for 20 seconds and dry them on paper towels. Caregivers should also wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds after assisting children with toileting.
    • Flush toilets are preferable to portable potty chairs in group care settings. However, if portable potty chairs must be used, they should be kept in a designated area away from play and dining areas and should be cleaned and disinfected after each use. The water used to clean potty chairs should be emptied into the toilet.
    • If children soil their clothing with stool or urine, the clothing should be removed, sealed in a plastic bag to be taken home. Care-givers should not rinse or wash the soiled clothing.
  4. Environmental Cleaning
    • Clean and sanitize toys and other objects frequently handled by children on a daily basis or whenever they become visibly soiled. Disposable cloths/towels are preferred for cleaning of these items.
    • Cloth toys may be washed and heat-dried for 30 minutes on the highest clothes dryer heat setting
    • Shigella can be cleaned with routine disinfectants such as diluted household bleach, Lysol or bactericidal wipes. Check the label to see how long you need to leave the sanitizer or disinfectant in contact with the surface you are treating, whether you need to rinse it off before contact by children, and for any precautions when handling.

FAQ Provided By: Michigan Department of Health & Human Services | Division of Communicable Disease | 333 S. Grand Ave, Lansing, MI 48909

A printable version of the FAQ can be found  here.

Symptoms of lead poisoning and remember you may not observe any changes right away:

  • Headaches or stomachaches
  • Vomiting
  • Irritability
  • Trouble eating or sleeping
  • Trouble talking, walking, or understanding
  • Trouble paying attention or sitting still
  • Being impulsive or easily distracted
  • Trouble solving problems

If you are experiencing any of these systems or think you have been affected contact your primary care physician.

Parents are the primary advocates for their children. Parents need to remain vigilant and learn about all services and resources available:

Mott Children’s Health Center

Offering pediatric primary care, dentistry, and mental health services from birth through adolescence. 806 Tuuri Place Flint, MI 48503 (810) 767-5750.

Genesee County CHAP (Children’s Healthcare Access Program)

CHAP is a collaborative, community-based medical home improvement model intended to improve the health outcomes of low-income children covered by Medicaid insurance. Part of the Greater Flint Health Coalition (810) 953-CHAP or (810) 953-2427.

Hurley Pediatric Clinic at Flint Farmers’ Market

The clinic combines health care, education, and community collaboration, providing both primary care and specialty doctors in one location. 300 E. First St. 2nd Floor Flint, MI (810) 262-9773.

Genesee Health System

Mental health based services supporting recovery, prevention, health, and wellness of the body, the mind, and the community. Stress reduction counseling available. 420 W. Fifth Avenue Flint, MI 43503  (810) 257-3705 (866) 211-5455 Crisis line: (810) 257-3740

The Genesee County Medical Society states the safest option for pregnant women is to use bottled water for drinking, brushing teeth and cooking. Pregnant woman should only allow bottled water to enter their mouth. Baby dishes, bottles and pacifiers should be washed with filtered or bottled water. Formula should also be made with bottled water only. Talk to your doctor if you have lead exposure concerns.

Please visit this Breastfeeding and Lead Exposure for more information on breastfeeding during the water crisis.

The concern for lead in the blood would be most relevant to blood donations, and not plasma as that is not where the lead is carried in the body. That said, the concern for lead being passed on to recipients of blood transfusions or organs would be very low for a number of reasons. Primarily, an individual with a high enough elevated blood lead level would present symptoms such as anemia that would prevent blood donation in the first place. Potential blood donors could be weeded out through self-reporting of conditions and exposures. Additionally, the donation would be diluted based on the amount of blood actually being donated (less than a 10th of a person’s blood volume). The concern for organs (which would have to be functioning normally to be donated) specifically would also be low as the majority of lead is stored in bone and circulating in blood, rather than being stored in organs.

The foods we prepare and serve to our families can help limit the effects of our kids’ exposure to lead! Three steps you can take in choosing and preparing food can make a difference:

  1. When preparing food, be sure to wash and cook it with filtered water.
  2. Serve your kids small, healthy snacks between meals.
  3. Serve foods that are high in a few really important nutrients: iron, calcium and vitamin C!



Calcium keeps your bones strong and the lead out! Calcium-rich foods include:

  • Milk and milk products, like cheese and yogurt
  • Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, kale, and collard greens
  • Calcium-enriched orange juice
  • Tofu
  • Canned salmon and sardines (both with the bones in)


Iron keeps too much lead from getting into your body. Foods rich in iron include:

  • Lean red meats, fish (tuna and salmon) and chicken
  • Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, kale and collard greens
  • Iron-fortified: cereal, bread and pasta
  • Dried fruit, such as raisins and prunes
  • Beans


Vitamin C works with iron to keep too much lead from getting into your body. Sources of vitamin C include:

  • Citrus fruits, like oranges and grapefruit and their juices
  • Tomatoes and tomato juice
  • Peppers
  • Other fruits like kiwi, strawberries and melons

See the nutrition section of this website for more information.

Families with children in need of medical care should contact the Child Health Care Access Program (CHAP) to be connected with pediatric services. CHAP can be reached at (810) 953-CHAP or email

Adults in need of a primary care physician can contact Hamilton Community Health Network at 225 E. Fifth Street, Suite 300, Flint, MI 48502 or Phone: (810) 406-HCHN (4246). Adults may also contact Genesee Health Plan at 2171 Linden Rd, Flint, MI 48532 or Phone:(810) 232-7740

Behavioral Health

If you or a family member are experiencing stress due to our Flint water crisis Genesee Health Systems has mental health professionals available by phone at no charge who can help. Call 810-257-3705 Monday – Friday 8am to 5pm and ask for a Flint Water Crisis Mental Health Counselor.


Michigan requested the Community Assessment for Public Health Emergency Response, or CASPER, on behalf of the Flint Community Resilience Group, Data & Gap Analysis Workgroup, from the CDC to aid in recovery efforts. The CDC provided the technical expertise, study plan and data analysis of the CASPER, and the Flint Community Resilience Group, Data & Gap Analysis Workgroup, comprised of MDHHS, Genesee Health System, University of Michigan Flint, and community partners, implemented the face-to-face household surveys which were conducted in May.

The CASPER helped to establish a baseline in five major areas: self-reported household and individual behavioral health concerns for adults and children since the Flint Water Crisis; household access to behavioral health services; self-reported physical health concerns; water-related resource needs and barriers to resources; and effectiveness of communication with the community.

The CASPER report can be found here

Positive early childhood experiences can help limit the effects of lead on kids and improve their behaviors and readiness for school. Preschool and supportive homes are important because early education, having fun and spending time with caring adults help kids succeed! Three ways you can help your child:

  1. Talk with your child’s doctor about potential lead exposure and have blood lead levels checked.
  2. Enroll your child in an early childhood program such as Head Start or Great Start Readiness.  Please call 810-591-kids for more information.
  3. Read with your child every day!



Read out loud to your child every day! If 30 minutes of daily reading begins at birth, kids go to kindergarten with more than 900 hours of “brain food” to feed their school success! Build a love for reading by:

  • Visiting your local library and helping your child choose new and fun books.
  • Finding books on topics they enjoy.
  • Showing your child all the ways we use words and language in our lives.
  • Reading books, magazines or newspapers at home in front of your child.
  • Singing, listening to music, and teaching chants and rhymes.


Learning is social! When kids are friendly and can listen and follow directions, they’re more likely to do well in school, even when there are challenges. Help develop these important skills by:

  • Giving your child time to play with other kids.
  • Teaching your child how to express feelings when he or she doesn’t like something or has a problem.
  • Helping your child solve problems and calm down when angry.
  • Working with your child on listening and following directions.


Children who are excited about school tend to do better! There are many ways to build your child’s curiosity and love of learning, including:

  • Asking questions like “why does that work?” or “what could happen next?” to expand his or her interest in the world.
  • Engaging your child in science and math activities.
  • Letting your child choose his or her own play and learning.
  • Noticing when your child tries hard, regardless of the result.

When something threatens our health and well-being, people often react with increased anxiety, worry and anger. With support from community and family, most of us bounce back. However, some may need extra assistance to cope with unfolding events and uncertainties. If you are experiencing emotional distress due to the storm, call the National Disaster Distress Helpline. This toll-free, multilingual, crisis support service is available 24/7 via telephone (1-800-985-5990) and SMS (text ‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746).

For helpful sheets on coping with depression and stress, click on the topics below:

Contact Us

If you would like to contact the Flint Recovery Group’s Communication Team, please fill out this form.  We value your feedback and questions.  A member of the team will respond to your inquiry shortly.  

You can also dial 2-1-1 for immediate assistance.

    © 2021 Flint Cares        Website by Firecracker Marketing & Promotions     FMPLogoOutline